Electricity Safety Tips from Wires for this Holiday Season
It’s been another busy week at ESandC!!! Danny was lucky enough to travel to Essex and visit the schools there while Fern and Blair held down the forts in Brampton, Unionville and Woodbridge. Here at the office we’ve been busy contacting schools from Ottawa, Sudbury, Halton and everywhere in between booking shows across the province. Our new Wires has been busy traveling around and entertaining the children with his electricity wisdom stopping only for a coffee and morning muffin.
As the holiday season is upon us, Wires wants everyone to stay safe with these 11 tips to help keep not just the kiddies safe, but pets and homes as well.
Keep decorations at least three feet away from heat sources – especially those with an open flame, like fireplaces and candles. And remember to blow out your candles when you leave the room or go to sleep.
The best decorations are safe decorations, so when you are decorating, make sure not to run cords under rugs or furniture, out of windows, or across walkways and sidewalks.
If you have a natural Christmas tree water it to keep it fresh and safe. Real trees can dry up and turn into kindling in no time at all. Get rid of the tree after Christmas. Dried out trees are a fire hazard and should not be left in the home or garage.
Always turn off your decorations when you leave your home and when you’re sleeping. Most deadly fires happen while people are asleep.
Be mindful of how you are using electrical outlets. If you’re using extension cords or adapters that add receptacles, consider having a qualified electrician add more outlets to your home. Extension cords are a common cause of home fires.
Only use electronics in dry areas. As tempting as it is, you just can’t decorate your aquarium with icicle lights.
Remember that phones and tablets should stay on your nightstand. We all love falling asleep to the muffled crooning of Bing Crosby and Michael Bublé, but overheated electronics under pillows and blankets are dangerous.
Need a perfect gift idea? How about a smoke alarm? Every home needs a working smoke alarm in each bedroom, outside sleeping areas and on every level, including the basement. And remember to test your own to make sure they’re working.
If you’re using a space heater, switch it off before leaving the room. It only takes seconds for a fire to start if a space heater tips over or comes in contact with something combustible, like a blanket or curtains.
Inspect your decorations and discard any that are damaged or worn out. Talk to your aunt about that life-sized Elvis-dressed-as-Santa statue. It’s falling apart, it’s creepy it’s got to go.
Keep batteries stored safely in their packaging and out of reach of anything that might try to eat them, like small children and pets. Eating a battery can be deadly.
Each of our Electricity Safety & Conservation presenters has at least 30 years experience in the electrical field, and has been trained to give consistent, high quality presentations to the elementary schools we visit.